holiday

Trials,Tribulations and Happy Moments in my busy life

Monday 17 September 2012

Japanese Slant on Kites

hi again folks,

as promised yesterday more on the Japanese Edo kite.


as you can see they are beautiful, some are appliqued, some painted and cover a large area.


This is the size with this one about to be launched as you can see they are quite big. Although most have a Japanese theme other designs are made


This one is flown by a Dutch couple as the scene shows. The many lines help hold the kite steady in the air which go to the ground to aid control.


Another Appliqued one.


 And another


Last but by no means least, one with a poem about a child of Hiroshima written on the kite above, it is very sad, only read below if you feel you can.

I come and stand at every door
But none can hear my silent tread
I knock and yet remain unseen
For I am dead for I am dead

I'm only seven though I die
In Hiroshima long ago
I'm seven now as I was then
When children die they do not grow

My hair was scorched by swirling flame
My eyes grew dim my eyes grew blind
Death came and turns my bones to dust
And that was scattered by the wind

I need no fruit I need no rice
I need no sweets or even bread
I ask for nothing for myself
For I am dead for I am dead

All that I need is that for peace
You fight today you fight today
So that the children of this world

Can live and grow and laugh and play


Well that bought a tear to my eyes at I typed this, sorry to end this blog on a somber note.

The last one was painted.

Thanks for looking, some brighter kites to finish on tomorrow, promise.

Nite nite, luv Mike XX 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, I think that poem brings it home to all of us, my eyes welled up too !
    On a brighter note, I loved the first two and would love to embroider them....oooooh the stitches I could create on those lovely lady kites !!!
    Thank Sue for the email and I look forward to all the fascinating stuff that you'll be putting on your blog !
    hugs
    Chris and DAVE R
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad but super post Mike ... we all need reminding of how cruel our world can be sometimes... I hope we learn from it .... Thanks for some stunning beauty as well .
    Eileen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a sad blog,the poem showed the waste of war, but on a bright note I loved the Dutch kite.

    ReplyDelete