holiday

Trials,Tribulations and Happy Moments in my busy life

Sunday 27 May 2012

Medway Barge Sailing Match Start.

Hi folks,

Wasn't sure if I was going to this as it meant an early start on Saturday morning to get to the start at Gillingham Pier. As I woke at 5.15am I decided to chance it, so loaded with my camera off I went to the start and arrived at 6.30 am. It was very misty but there was wind so I thought it would clear for the start but at 7am it was still about so some of the images show it.


This was taken the day before as we had to go to Gillingham on Friday anyway. This shows the ornate gate at the side of the Gillingham slip with a Barge.


The main reason was for me to take my own picture of the Edith May which I sailed on last week. Here she is in all her splendour tacking before the start.


Coming towards the pier just before the start.


Off she went, with all the other


There were three classes of boats taking part.


Heading down river into the sun, three more vessels taking part. Due to the mist they started to fade but it was a wonderful sight.


This one was just about to tack towards the start.


Under way.


Sailing off into the sun on their way to the Medway Buoy in the Thames Estuary then back to the Pier, approximately 29 miles in total.  Results of who won? Well there's a question, I have checked the web but it looks like a phone call will have to be made.

At 7,15am I was on my way home for breakfast.

Thanks for looking.

nite nite, luv Mike XX

8 comments:

  1. Used to go to this regularly when w lived in Faversham, but haven't been for years now. A real bit of nostalgia, thanks Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to go to this regularly when w lived in Faversham, but haven't been for years now. A real bit of nostalgia, thanks Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super, super, pictures Mike. Love the last one in particular.
    Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you felt it was worth getting up early to see these beautiful barges.Let us know how the Edith May got on in the race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pleasure to see your blog Mike...............
    I love the three ships sailing by !!!
    Many, many thanks to you and Sue for your lovely comments on
    Dave's blog.....very much appreciated !!!!!!!!
    hugs
    Chris and Dave R
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful shots Mike I love the Edith May and hope to get a chance to sail on here this Summer & possible play a gig there next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your lovely comments.

    Spent the day in London yesterday having a check up and taking photos. Very enjoyable but was late when we got home.

    ReplyDelete